Monday, January 31, 2005

Just Listen

God is on the move...do you hear Him? Well, you may not...there are times when I don't. Often more times than I care to confess, I am deaf to his moving in my life. But this past week in my life, this past week it has been unmistakable. Loud, thunderous movement - problem - I can't tell from which direction. I have prayed and prayed, thought and pondered, sought advice and counsel but still nothing clear.
1 Kings 19:11 “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. "
(NLT)

I think I know the problem. It's the same problem I have faced for most of my Christian life. I just can't remember to be quiet on the front end. Usually after I struggle a while, I remember. Why can't I learn that lesson?

"God, do you not hear me? Why will you not answer my prayers?" Don't get me wrong...life is going pretty good right now. My Walk is good. My marriage is awesome. My kids are great. I love being a youth minister. "So what is it?", one might ask. Well, I don't know. God is moving, he's getting ready to do something in my life. I can't tell you if it will be visible externally or if the call will be an internal one. I can't tell you what that is right now, but I think I will do what I've needed to do for quite some time - Just listen for a while.

"Be still, and know that I am God" - Psalm 46:10 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment